Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Theme Park in the Rain



Last year I took the kids to a local theme park for the day.  It was October so were not a lot of people there and the lines were all really short.  We had a GREAT time together!!  Even my 10 year old daughter went on the tallest roller-coaster in the place.  (And this place has a lot of coasters)

Since we had so much fun, it was not surprising that when spring came around they all asked to go again.  Now that all the kids are big enough to ride everything, it made sense to look at season passes.  A season pass cost about the same a 2 single day tickets, so I figured it would be worth it.  If I only go twice, I will break even on the cost of the passes.

This past Saturday I woke to a rainy day.  My son had baseball practice, which got canceled.  My daughter had football practice, which was also canceled.  Suddenly, we did not have that much to do for the day.  It was not raining that hard, more of a heavy mist.

Then I saw on Facebook one of the guys on my kickball team (Danny) was at the theme park with his boyfriend (David) and David's kids.  I have known David for a about a year and I texted him.    

Me:  Hi David.  I see you are at the Park.  How is it?

David:  It's awesome!!  There are no lines for anything.  You might want an umbrella though.

So without any advanced planing, I packed up the kids that wanted to go and we headed down the road.  Since we have the passes, I figured the worst thing that happens is it is raining too hard and we go home.  I would only be out the cost of gas.  

It turned out to be an awesome day.  It was not raining that hard, but the weather was dreary enough to keep most people at home.  There were no lines for anything!!!



About half way through the day I spotted David, Danny and the kids walking past where I was sitting.  We chatted with them for a while and then we basically merged our groups together.   We all hung out together for about an hour or so.  The whole time I was watching Danny and David.  They have only been together about 6 months, but it was clear there were in love with each other.  It was awesome seeing two guys in love with each other doing "normal" family things with each other and the kids.  It is EXACTLY what I wanted for me and T.  

When we were still boyfriends we would occasionally go out with my kids.  Usually to dinner and then a movie.  Or a movie and ice cream.  I always treasured those times, because I had my boyfriend and my kids together at the same time.  Everyone was happy and getting along well.  It was just what I wanted for myself after K and I broke up.

Watching David and Danny just being together, made me feel a little sad, but also hopeful at the same time.

2 comments:

TwoLives said...

Great story. I totally get how you feel. Thanks for sharing.

Not Alone said...

Hey man.... Keep your head up. It will come your way.